Encouraging joining rooms before the match starts.

• We all know that awkward moment when you open a room and wait 30 mins without anyone joining (because everyone else does the same) and when you finally start a match with only few people in, everyone is trying to enter your room to a point where the entry lag becomes unbearable?

To encourage joining a room before the match starts, how about having some special rewards only for those who have been playing the match from the start (for lets say 4vs4, 20 mins or more)?

• It could be done by disallowing to create a new room when there is an existing one having the same mode, map and weapon limitations. However I don't really know how to deal with the time limit. Allowing different time limits will result in multiple open rooms but disallowing them means people who don't have so much time can not play (or at least don't get rewarded).

Moreover we would need an option for a jump room so that they can exist beside the play rooms.

This could only be done by disabling custom room names and making a "Jump" option next to the fm option but then custom weapon limitations would be impossible as well. So this only would work if all weapons would be accepted. And I'm afraid this will never be the case even if there were balancing patches.

But at least the entry lags could be fixed by preloading all textures.

The only system that 'could' work would be giving some extra pen or exp (like an additional pen/exp + 30% buff) if the room is full when the match starts and nobody leaves during the match. But that would very likely only work if different time limits are allowed.

• I like the general idea of this thread.

But I see several downsides on the ideas you proposed:

To encourage joining a room before the match starts, how about having some special rewards only for those who have been playing the match from the start (for lets say 4vs4, 20 mins or more)?

What if you started a game and several players leave (ragequit, DC or whatever).

Where is my motivation as a player to fill up these free spots?

Other games like Overwatch give you an EXP reward if you fill up the team, basically the other way around.

It could be done by disallowing to create a new room when there is an existing one having the same mode, map and weapon limitations.

What if I want to create my own room?

Like playing with friends, deciding which players I kick (because toxic, lag etc.) or whatever reason I have to create a room.

But at least the entry lags could be fixed by preloading all textures.

On what moment you want to preload them?

I think its a fitting moment to load them when you need them, especially for performance reasons.

Would be better if they would fix the issue of causing a lag for everyone.

The only system that 'could' work would be giving some extra pen or exp (like an additional pen/exp + 30% buff) if the room is full when the match starts and nobody leaves during the match.

Same problem with DC or other reasons that make players quit a room.

• I think it woudl be just easier if they create a "quick play" matchmaking queue in parallel with the rooms but once again there has to be something to encourage using it.

What if you started a game and several players leave (ragequit, DC or whatever).

Where is my motivation as a player to fill up these free spots?

Other games like Overwatch give you an EXP reward if you fill up the team, basically the other way around.

Your motivation is that you can start playing right away so don't have to wait to fill a room. There are already plenty of people who want to backfill.

Overwatch doesn't have room system so the game forces you to backfill want it or not (and you surely don't) and therefore it compensates you for it. In s4 it is optional.

Also motivating you to play a match from the beginning is what s4 needs now. It can be changed afterwards when it is no longer needed.

• Better way to make ppl come, i think.

• It's like a never ending cycle, people only join rooms that are on-going, but how can they exist if no-one joins rooms in lobby to start the match?

If you have a friend, willing to play against you, that would probably solve the waiting game

• Just throwing in a few ideas what these rewards could look like:

Duration coin: Use a coin to increase the duration of any non-perm-item by 1 day, 3 coins for +7day, 10 coins for +30days or use a stack of 30 coins (arbitrary number - let's say the average match takes 20 mins this would be 600 mins or 10hrs of playtime) on any item to make its duration "permanent".

Stat coin (since we won't get rid of this anytime soon anyway): Use a coin to permanently increase an item's stat by 1 (up to AP). Use a stack of 10 coins to upgrade from AP to FP-stats.

Copy coin: Use a stack 3 of this on any permanent item in your posession to gain a permanent pen-stat (no enchants or chips) copy of said item.

Reskin-coin: Use a stack of 5 of this to permanently change the skin of your item (within its possible skin-pool of course)

(if implemented add an option to lock and unlock items concerning this coin system)

Could be implemented as a whole where you can choose a coin at the end of a match or just in parts - 1 coin/match

Problem: Can be farmed-> probably needs additional requirements to prevent farming (might not even matter at this point)

Problem2: Might not be the best idea to add yet more currencies to the game

//There might be more, problems, but this is what comes to my mind spontaneously

1544-signa-png

The post was edited 1 time, last by Yaita ().

• Stat coin (since we won't get rid of this anytime soon anyway): Use a coin to permanently increase an item's stat by 1 (up to AP). Use a stack of 10 coins to upgrade from AP to FP-stats.

I like this one in particular but if it happens it probably will be payed and expensive.

But anyway, I am sure even existing rewards could do the trick. Getting it implemented is probably going to be the hardest thing.

• Any sort of system that rewards the player even a little bit will be farmed if possible.

It will be kinda inconvenient to farm if it requires a lot of players. And sure, there will be farms at the beginning but if it is there all the time most ppl would just rather play the game. It is not like it forces you to play a mode that you don't like.

The only issue that I see is if most of the people leans towards only joining the farm rooms.

• I personally don't understand the appeal of joining a full room, other than its already playing and i can start immediately. I personally like to play games from the beginning, rather than see what kind of match i get thrown into when joining an ongoing room. Seems like that's not the case for most people though.

It's a shame and i end up sitting in the lobby for ongoing matches to end quite a bit, but i personally like to play a match from start to finish, instead of joining a match halfway through. Not sure though if there really is a working system to prevent something like this to happen tbh. Seems unlikely without having some bad side effects

• I personally don't understand the appeal of joining a full room, other than its already playing and i can start immediately. I personally like to play games from the beginning, rather than see what kind of match i get thrown into when joining an ongoing room. Seems like that's not the case for most people though.

It's a shame and i end up sitting in the lobby for ongoing matches to end quite a bit, but i personally like to play a match from start to finish, instead of joining a match halfway through. Not sure though if there really is a working system to prevent something like this to happen tbh. Seems unlikely without having some bad side effects

The issue is, it takes way too long to start a room.

Some ppl even create a room and just keep talking even it is full and everyone are waiting to start.

Sometimes if you name the room "fast" you have a slightly better chance to get it filled faster (and it has to be st2 ofc) but it is not really enough.

• Still depressing to me that i can wait an hour for my favorite maps and noone would join. But yeah i get your point. I don't really like chatting endlessly that much either ingame, i'd rather just play. I get where you're coming from, but i guess that's something you can't avoid with a system. The drawbacks of implementing some system to help with that would either be too strong or the upside of starting the match is too small. For example lets say EXP boost, not a lot of people would care that much about an EXP boost unless it's very drastic, and that is kinda too strong then. If you get what i'm saying.

It sounds like a good idea, but i guess its not possible to properly implement it. I hope i am wrong though

• Still depressing to me that i can wait an hour for my favorite maps and noone would join. But yeah i get your point. I don't really like chatting endlessly that much either ingame, i'd rather just play. I get where you're coming from, but i guess that's something you can't avoid with a system. The drawbacks of implementing some system to help with that would either be too strong or the upside of starting the match is too small. For example lets say EXP boost, not a lot of people would care that much about an EXP boost unless it's very drastic, and that is kinda too strong then. If you get what i'm saying.

It sounds like a good idea, but i guess its not possible to properly implement it. I hope i am wrong though

Ok, how about this: A special rooms is opened once in a while. The match only starts when it is filled and no other room like it appears until the match starts.

• But then, whats the incentive in joining that room? And for example, lets say theres someone you dont like in that room but you want to play that map, what do you do? Bad luck? Sounds meh to me

• But then, whats the incentive in joining that room? And for example, lets say theres someone you dont like in that room but you want to play that map, what do you do? Bad luck? Sounds meh to me

There should be special rewards for playing in those.

If you don't like someone, play something else until the next one appears.

• Well i kinda like that, but that won't change the ongoing issue with joining a room before it starts, it'll solve it for one room every lets say hour. But the overall situation won't change except for that one room

• I like this one in particular but if it happens it probably will be payed and expensive.

But anyway, I am sure even existing rewards could do the trick. Getting it implemented is probably going to be the hardest thing.

The idea came from my fumbi-shop-filled inventory. I think highstat for 10 matches played like that is kinda fair. If you want to make a push from pen to FP this would take 20 matches still, which is a bit of a grind (numbers could change anyway).

The combination of these would allow for more style- and skin-diversity (everyone has premstats these days, so I don't see why not). It is stylish esper shooting sports after all.

(The idea was not without egoistic incentive: My inventory is filled with cool items from fumbi-shop-times, but many of them either don't have the stats ( i'd prefer either pen or FP, but e.g +3 weapons are just strange), the cool skins i'd want them to have or the time (quite a few items on x hrs). My inventory has so much potential for style that i cannot use to its potential as it stands, and my bet would be yours and other player's too. - Also this would allow to cast the perm-trnsformation on new randomshop items as well, which i'd find very cool)

I think you are right about that existing rewards could do, to me though, this has more potential (if they are confident in the coding)

• yeah. the old stuff obtained from the random shop is pretty much useless and obsolete at this point.

• In the end, S4 needs more players.

If we have more players, the rooms will get filled on their own.

Fix the current issues like DCs, HP bugs etc. and they will come on their own.

I don't need any rewards, I need a stable game I can enjoy playing.

• In the end, S4 needs more players.

If we have more players, the rooms will get filled on their own.

Yes but how do you get more players? Making the matches more convenient can actually make the people play if they don't have to wait 30 mins for someone to join.

Fix the current issues like DCs, HP bugs etc. and they will come on their own.

I don't need any rewards, I need a stable game I can enjoy playing.

You are saying it but not really thinking it. Every game has bugs (and s4 has been buggy mess for years). That is not really a reason to quit.

• That is not really a reason to quit.

I never said I want to quit s4 league but ok...

Every game has bugs (and s4 has been buggy mess for years).

Every game has bugs, I agree, and S4 has bugs for years.

But in S4 they were never fixed, only a few got fixed, because they were too gamebreaking.

And other bugs like RC, airhug and wallshooting are viewed as "unique game mechanics".

If I say "fix gamebreaking bugs or issues which crash the game to make the game enjoyable" then I mean it like that.

• Every game has bugs (and s4 has been buggy mess for years).

This doesn't justify anything. Especially those kinds of bugs, where your freakin' stats are missing all of a sudden(which wouldnt be such an issue, if some people wouldn't still keep their stats). Such a bug is pretty major, especially in S4L, where stats are an very important aspect.

• This doesn't justify anything. Especially those kinds of bugs, where your freakin' stats are missing all of a sudden(which wouldnt be such an issue, if some people wouldn't still keep their stats). Such a bug is pretty major, especially in S4L, where stats are an very important aspect.

There is a work around. You just don't join match mid game.

In fact this bug gave the idea of this thread since playing a full match should be encouraged.

• There is a work around. You just don't join match mid game.

In fact this bug gave the idea of this thread since playing a full match should be encouraged.

Because there are so many rooms to choose from? Especially in unlimited?
    I know it's a work-around but nowadays, you are basically "forced" to join a room, that is mid game. (If you dont to wait 30 minutes to start a round)