Session - 1
Do you want to see Karasakal in the video? Follow this link: https://www.facebook.com/S4LWestern/videos/2018215654875562/
We've been wanting to get the S4 League development for months. After negotiations and all the legal work, we came to an agreement around the start of the year. Karasakal and our lead developer visited Neowiz On Studios' office to receive the code and some training. However, due to initially legal (contracts are complicated) and then tech problems delayed us. In fact, we had two major blockers recently. We've tackled one last week and the other is almost taken care of. This is why we haven't shown you anything yet: We've been focusing on getting the environment set up.
The initial plan is to get a few patches, try and learn "a few things" before we move to bigger projects. But we have A LOT of plans. You'll hear more through the course of these Q&A sessions.
In these Q&A Sessions we will answer almost all the questions you've asked through the form we shared before. So technically, this is more of an A session, since Q part has happened. I will also add the few topics from the last PM Postcard.
- "What’s #1 priority for now since Aeria Games/Gamigo took over the development?"
- While we'll try to get patches out, our priority one is actually an infrastructure improvement. Basically we will be moving our servers to a different environment, which should solve several issues we have like lags and purchased items not arriving.
- In the postcard I mentioned traitors. Let me talk about them.
- Extrabios betrayed us before, but she couldn't stay away and she is back in the team as assistant PM!
- "Will you ever advertise S4league again?"
- Of course! In fact, we are doing it. We had some marketing issues in the past (in the company, not just us). However, we are kind of low key at the moment. Come our first patches and drumroll first episode, we'll step up.
- I don't even need anyone to ask us about this, LATAM situation.
- Please bear with us. We are investigating the problem actively now. Development delay didn't help, but we will do it as soon as possible. We may start by simply adding a language support, but we'll take steps as constraints allow us.
- Mentioned in some places: Asian servers.
- Not off the table. But not a priority at the start. We'd like to scope the interest and act on that though!
- Will S4 League will survive in these future years to come? More events? More playing with GM or else?
- That's what we are rooting for. We're investing resources into S4 League. My vision is long-term. I can't say how successful we will be, but I can promise we'll do our best. More events will definitely come.
- The other postcard topic: How to buff the railgun
- Double the damage, give it stun. Headshots delete the enemy account? In all seriousness, we have the fix for railgun:
1-open the code
2-find rail gun stuff
- How big is the S4 development team?
- It's a bit complicated as we 1- have some pooled and some dedicated resources 2-restructuring our development departments. For example, we don't have enough content to require a full time 3D artist, so we have 3D artists who work for various games. But when we need something, they'll provide it. All in all, there are dozens of people interacting with the game, with the dedicated/always available people being about a dozen people.
- Is the dev team all put together or it still working?
- It's in progress. Like I said, we have a restructuring going on. But our "core" is pretty much complete.
- What exactly does a product manager do (What are his duties)?
- To put it easily, PM is the boss man. Sets the vision for the game, makes most of the "high level" decisions (ie not what post we should have on Facebook but the facebook strategy), is responsible of the webmall, manages the team and repots to the management. The last months have been hectic since team was still being created but tasks needed to be done. It was tough, but it's been fun. For example, I've made a lore clean-up and prepared the foundation of the next episode's story and more. Extrabios will take over some tasks to lighten my load.
- How many artists do your team have?
- Not exactly sure about 3D team to be honest. But about half a dozen artists (concept, illustration, 3D etc) are "always available" for us, ie they aren't "in" our team, but when we need costumes etc, they'll work on them.
That's all for Session 1. Thanks for reading so far. The next session will be on July 25th, where we will answer questions about engine and graphic changes and overall the game (maybe more!) So set your calendars and look for announcement news as the date approaches. Also, please let us know what you think about both the answers but also the way we did the Q&A!