Questions & Answers Session - 1

• Session - 1

General Questions

Do you want to see Karasakal in the video? Follow this link: https://www.facebook.com/S4LWestern/videos/2018215654875562/

Summary

We've been wanting to get the S4 League development for months. After negotiations and all the legal work, we came to an agreement around the start of the year. Karasakal and our lead developer visited Neowiz On Studios' office to receive the code and some training. However, due to initially legal (contracts are complicated) and then tech problems delayed us. In fact, we had two major blockers recently. We've tackled one last week and the other is almost taken care of. This is why we haven't shown you anything yet: We've been focusing on getting the environment set up.

The initial plan is to get a few patches, try and learn "a few things" before we move to bigger projects. But we have A LOT of plans. You'll hear more through the course of these Q&A sessions.

In these Q&A Sessions we will answer almost all the questions you've asked through the form we shared before. So technically, this is more of an A session, since Q part has happened. I will also add the few topics from the last PM Postcard.

1. "What’s #1 priority for now since Aeria Games/Gamigo took over the development?"
      1. While we'll try to get patches out, our priority one is actually an infrastructure improvement. Basically we will be moving our servers to a different environment, which should solve several issues we have like lags and purchased items not arriving.
    2. In the postcard I mentioned traitors. Let me talk about them.
      1. Extrabios betrayed us before, but she couldn't stay away and she is back in the team as assistant PM!
    3. "Will you ever advertise S4league again?"
      1. Of course! In fact, we are doing it. We had some marketing issues in the past (in the company, not just us). However, we are kind of low key at the moment. Come our first patches and drumroll first episode, we'll step up.
    4. I don't even need anyone to ask us about this, LATAM situation.
      1. Please bear with us. We are investigating the problem actively now. Development delay didn't help, but we will do it as soon as possible. We may start by simply adding a language support, but we'll take steps as constraints allow us.
    5. Mentioned in some places: Asian servers.
      1. Not off the table. But not a priority at the start. We'd like to scope the interest and act on that though!
    6. Will S4 League will survive in these future years to come? More events? More playing with GM or else?
      1. That's what we are rooting for. We're investing resources into S4 League. My vision is long-term. I can't say how successful we will be, but I can promise we'll do our best. More events will definitely come.
    7. The other postcard topic: How to buff the railgun
      1. Double the damage, give it stun. Headshots delete the enemy account? In all seriousness, we have the fix for railgun:

1-open the code

2-find rail gun stuff

3- ???

4-profit

Team Questions

1. How big is the S4 development team?
      1. It's a bit complicated as we 1- have some pooled and some dedicated resources 2-restructuring our development departments. For example, we don't have enough content to require a full time 3D artist, so we have 3D artists who work for various games. But when we need something, they'll provide it. All in all, there are dozens of people interacting with the game, with the dedicated/always available people being about a dozen people.
    2. Is the dev team all put together or it still working?
      1. It's in progress. Like I said, we have a restructuring going on. But our "core" is pretty much complete.
    3. What exactly does a product manager do (What are his duties)?
      1. To put it easily, PM is the boss man. Sets the vision for the game, makes most of the "high level" decisions (ie not what post we should have on Facebook but the facebook strategy), is responsible of the webmall, manages the team and repots to the management. The last months have been hectic since team was still being created but tasks needed to be done. It was tough, but it's been fun. For example, I've made a lore clean-up and prepared the foundation of the next episode's story and more. Extrabios will take over some tasks to lighten my load.
    4. How many artists do your team have?
      1. Not exactly sure about 3D team to be honest. But about half a dozen artists (concept, illustration, 3D etc) are "always available" for us, ie they aren't "in" our team, but when we need costumes etc, they'll work on them.

That's all for Session 1. Thanks for reading so far. The next session will be on July 25th, where we will answer questions about engine and graphic changes and overall the game (maybe more!) So set your calendars and look for announcement news as the date approaches. Also, please let us know what you think about both the answers but also the way we did the Q&A!

• Hello S4 Team,

I will start first with some positive feedback. Live sessions gives the feeling there is a closer connection, so thumb up for this.
    The way you answered most questions satisfied me (except private servers), I realy liked what you said here "What we actually want to do is that we are good enough so that you don't want to get into private servers".

Now the "negative" feedback. Maybe a bit more proffesional next time (for example no mirroring).
    Also I'm sure there was a question about the p2w topic... I didn't aksed it but I'm sure someone did, what happened with this important question?
    Again about the negative view of private server, people who host those places do it out of love for the game. Isn't there a way to take advantage of it, instead of trying to beat them?

And last thing I like to add, I don't wanna sound like a commanding person but can you make a new Q&A round. People will have now new questions.
    If this will happen maybe put all answered questions in a "Q&A Results" topic so it is a easier overview.

Kind regards,

Zandrox

• Hey guys!
    Even if yesterday was one-sided conversation mostly, it was really nice to be talk rather than just write.

A few points from me.

1) Mirroring: Yup. Go ahead, do the jokes, I'm laughing as well! :D So apparently facebook live thingie mirrors us. We actually checked the video before to make sure it looked okay, but live caught us by surprise. Anyhow, in the end we said things out loud, but we'll keep an eye out for future. As I mentioned, we did something like this the first time.

We should've prepared a bit more overall, but we're also running tight schedules, so it's not always possible to prepare comfortably (we really wanted to dress up :D). Anyway, noted!

2) Important questions: As I mentioned in the stream, this is only the first session. We will have questions about balance, new features, old maps etc all that stuff!

And if anything isn't covered there, we can definitely do more.

First thing we talked about after shutting off the stream was to make it more interactive. So maybe after the questions we already gathered, we can just do one session where we take questions purely from the audience : )

I'm getting overall positive vibes, I'm really glad we did it. Looking forward to more interaction!

• I really liked this parts, especially "lore clean-up"

1. "Will you ever advertise S4league again?"

1. Of course! In fact, we are doing it. We had some marketing issues in the past (in the company, not just us). However, we are kind of low key at the moment. Come our first patches and drumroll first episode, we'll step up.
    1. I don't even need anyone to ask us about this, LATAM situation.
      1. Please bear with us. We are investigating the problem actively now. Development delay didn't help, but we will do it as soon as possible. We may start by simply adding a language support, but we'll take steps as constraints allow us.

Team Questions

1. What exactly does a product manager do (What are his duties)?

1. "For example, I've made a lore clean-up and prepared the foundation of the next episode's story and more. Extrabios will take over some tasks to lighten my load.
  • Forget support for language LA, do not waste time and resources with this, focus on the block ip as soon as possible this is enough. I'm waiting anxiously to play here from Brazil.

I had an idea of what you can do to advertise the game here in Brazil after removing the block ip, you could make a deal with some streamers, which is the biggest current trade in brazil many brazilian streamers have a big fan base and that attracts enough players for the games they play, you could get in touch with these streamers and the name of some of the most famous Brazilians in the streaming platform Twich.tv is (Alanzoka, YoDa, SkipNhO and many others) games in releases usually comes in contact with these streamers when released so the game grows in Brazil absurdly, you can search on twitch.tv.I hope you can think about ...

• Amazing :)

• Whyever you wait when you can use VPN Opheliafacepalm

1 - why it is illegal and I can take ban, unless there is some post allowing us to use it temporarily.

2 - why all vpn that I know are old and does not work anymore and those that work are usually paid in monthly plans and there is no crack.

I used hotspotshield had many others that I do not remember now.

if you recommend me some that work and be free I would use yes.

• 1 - why it is illegal and I can take ban, unless there is some post allowing us to use it temporarily.

2 - why all vpn that I know are old and does not work anymore and those that work are usually paid in monthly plans and there is no crack.

I used hotspotshield had many others that I do not remember now.

if you recommend me some that work and be free I would use yes.

hide.me ?

• Forget support for language LA, do not waste time and resources with this, focus on the block ip as soon as possible this is enough. I'm waiting anxiously to play here from Brazil.

I had an idea of what you can do to advertise the game here in Brazil after removing the block ip, you could make a deal with some streamers, which is the biggest current trade in brazil many brazilian streamers have a big fan base and that attracts enough players for the games they play, you could get in touch with these streamers and the name of some of the most famous Brazilians in the streaming platform Twich.tv is (Alanzoka, YoDa, SkipNhO and many others) games in releases usually comes in contact with these streamers when released so the game grows in Brazil absurdly, you can search on twitch.tv.I hope you can think about ...

Will definitely consider influencers.

By the way, we already have some language files. Versions don't match but I think we will be able to provide language support regardless.

• I was thinking of a mode where a fumbi ufo comes and drops random weapons every 30-40 seconds of the match, I poke kara on discord but he was buzy. :(
    or maybe like drop mode (like fm and bruning buff) where you and ur team can switch weapons. It would be awesome like if you and ur team would like to switch roles mid half you could. or maybe a regan mode where you heal an amount of hp when you aren't being hit. I have more. kara senpai if you want I can make you a list of ideas and you can read them in ur next askkara stream.

• I was thinking of a mode where a fumbi ufo comes and drops random weapons every 30-40 seconds of the match, I poke kara on discord but he was buzy. :(
    or maybe like drop mode (like fm and bruning buff) where you and ur team can switch weapons. It would be awesome like if you and ur team would like to switch roles mid half you could. or maybe a regan mode where you heal an amount of hp when you aren't being hit. I have more. kara senpai if you want I can make you a list of ideas and you can read them in ur next askkara stream.

It can work as an event or separate mode but if it is in the main game it will just disrupt the gameplay.

• I forgot to ask abou the Drop system ingame, like S4 Taiwan.

Oof forgot about this. I remember playing on S4 Taiwan and it wasn't an awful system if your aim didn't suck but since my aim sucked it was a bad system :3

• kinda dig the pickup system just not the limited ammo thing

Limited ammo though would nerf the RG bigtime. They'd have to actually aim properly instead of that berserk rampage rapid rail style of playing. They'd burn through their limited clip really fast doing that. I never had a problem with the idea of limited ammo.

Honestly i dunno why ppl do have a problem with limited ammo. Is it because they don't wanna take melee in Unlimited or smth? Is it because they don't want careless shots to be unpunished?

Edit: Also that weapon drop would be a nice little feature. It'd give newer players a chance to use whale enchanted weapons against their original owners. Also in a way it'd kinda stop the whole "I use pen stats" bs ppl throw around as an excuse. We could say "you chose not to pick up their weapons". XD

• Limited ammo though would nerf the RG bigtime. They'd have to actually aim properly instead of that berserk rampage rapid rail style of playing. They'd burn through their limited clip really fast doing that. I never had a problem with the idea of limited ammo.

Honestly i dunno why ppl do have a problem with limited ammo. Is it because they don't wanna take melee in Unlimited or smth? Is it because they don't want careless shots to be unpunished?

Edit: Also that weapon drop would be a nice little feature. It'd give newer players a chance to use whale enchanted weapons against their original owners. Also in a way it'd kinda stop the whole "I use pen stats" bs ppl throw around as an excuse. We could say "you chose not to pick up their weapons". XD

I would prefer that they put back limited ammo on certain weapons.

• Limited ammo though would nerf the RG bigtime. They'd have to actually aim properly instead of that berserk rampage rapid rail style of playing. They'd burn through their limited clip really fast doing that. I never had a problem with the idea of limited ammo.

Limiting the ammo won't do a thing. ppl just suicide and comes back full. The bomb has limited ammo but that doesn't stop ppl from spamming it everywhere.

I would prefer that they put back limited ammo on certain weapons.

The only weapon that got from limited to unlimited ammo was the assault (and magnum) and to be honest it was for better considering that weapon was useless before that.

The limited ammo is very poor mechanic in this game since the only way to refill is really by dying. Even if adding a way to refill ammo, it will only distract from the objective and slows the game down. Same goes for the pick up items.

• Limiting the ammo won't do a thing. ppl just suicide and comes back full. The bomb has limited ammo but that doesn't stop ppl from spamming it everywhere.

The only weapon that got from limited to unlimited ammo was the assault and to be honest it was for better considering that weapon was useless before that.

The limited ammo is very poor mechanic in this game since the only way to refill is really by dying. Even if adding a way to refill ammo, it will only distract from the objective and slows the game down. Same goes for the pick up items.

It could work like the CoD, pick up ammo from the ground.

• It could work like the CoD, pick up ammo from the ground.

Sounds good too; as there's already an ammo coin pickup feature in the game as well (arcade/conquest/siege). Mk2 Rescue gun could be used as another means to help your teammates out in the ammo department. Also the weapon pickup itself kinda solved the ammo issue as well because you'd get what ammo the other players gun had left.

Limiting the ammo won't do a thing. ppl just suicide and comes back full. The bomb has limited ammo but that doesn't stop ppl from spamming it everywhere.

The only weapon that got from limited to unlimited ammo was the assault and to be honest it was for better considering that weapon was useless before that.

But suicide means they're willing to sacrifice their personal score, and if it's TD (7 seconds) of valuable time since there's no instant re spawn in that mode. Suicide was not meant to be something one can intentionally do, and I do wish some further punishment could be done to the player for doing it intentionally. Sadly though there's no way for the game to know if it was intentional or not. For other modes, they could do something like make it so players can't use coin buffs if they Suicide. (No instant spawning for full ammo, or even now no suicide for quick bomb reloads).

• But suicide means they're willing to sacrifice their personal score, and if it's TD (7 seconds) of valuable time since there's no instant re spawn in that mode. Suicide was not meant to be something one can intentionally do, and I do wish some further punishment could be done to the player for doing it intentionally. Sadly though there's no way for the game to know if it was intentional or not. For other modes, they could do something like make it so players can't use coin buffs if they Suicide. (No instant spawning for full ammo, or even now no suicide for quick bomb reloads).

Well I have no problem at all to sacrifice my personal score in TD. It is a team game o.o

The other modes where suicide actually would make sense are DM and Siege and I think in both of this modes you are actually also sacrificing your personal score with -2 points for doing so. o.o (I don't use coin buffs at all :o)

• Will definitely consider influencers.

By the way, we already have some language files. Versions don't match but I think we will be able to provide language support regardless.

If we get the spanish translation based on EU then make sure it's spanish from Spain.

LAT had some really weird translations back then, in the beta the male character was "Macho"

• But do you really want to do that in s4 if it is added now?

Even OW realized this kind of stuff only break the game flow and they didn't bother with it at all.

CoD has done this for years and is one of the best-selling sagas. Although they could at least test this system in S4 League and see their results in games.