Some tips to make S4 League great again

• First of all, I know that most of these things are easier said than done, keep that in mind.

Secondly, I'm not an expert in game development, I'm just using my common sense to try and give the devs some tips.

So let's begin, shall we?

1. Hire some experienced developers.

I think that this is vital to the game, given that it is barely playable at the moment, needless to say that there are many gamebreaking bugs that make the game unplayable (I can't even join rooms rofl).

2. Market the game (properly).

Another vital part of making a game is advertising it properly. I think investing in some ads would be the go-to method. Also, am I the only one who remembers that S4 League actually used to have ads on TV and stuff?

3. Involve the community.

I think that this isn't only a way to get more content (by making costume creation contests, for example), but also a way to acknowledge the fact that there are talented people in our community that can improve the game tremendously. Did I mention that it is FREE?

4. Add some easter eggs/references

Maybe I'm the only one who values easter eggs in my games, but I'm still going to put it on the list. When I say easter eggs, I think of wearable items, like a Hatsune Miku hairstyle or something like this.

5. Remove/improve small details that ruin the game experience.

-The first thing a player sees is the GUI, so let's begin with this one. It's horrible...no, really, there's really nothing else to say. The colour combo between blue and orange does not match the aesthetic of the game IMO, needless to say that it's an eyesore. I think reverting it to the previous one would be a start, I think anything is better than the one we have now.

-Item descriptions. There are just so many descriptions that don't even make sense. The most ridiculous example would be the Frying Storm Bat: "If use this Weapon, You Can Feeling power and strength!". There are more awkward descriptions, but for me, this one takes the cake.

-Item names. They fall under the same umbrella as the previous topic (descriptions). They're generally typos, or weirdly spelled words.

To both of these, I'd be more than happy to tweak/rewrite some of them *wink* (it's not like I have anything better to do anyway).

-Rase sol1

• First of all: It is always nice to see constructive critizism.

Then yeah, those would be good steps to overall better the experience for all that are longing for this. We could get a bigger ans strifing community, which would mean even more revenue for the developer. But here is the catch: Pay2Win

For a healthy Game, this needs to disappear, but no one will pull the trigger there. And even if, the most diehard fans, that are mostly still there have poured many moneyz into their account and this would get worthless.

How are we supposed to get new players into the game, when they go against mostly Full FP players enchanted to oblivion and back? I had several people from family and friends alike that said: Wow, that game looks fun, too bad it is P2W.

Bettering the experience is always good. Getting rid of bugs, improving the communication between the team and the community, getting the word ouf of this could be awesome game with a totaly passionate community and fun events in the future. Yeah, I'm all for it. Your quality of life changes you mentioned, even if they are small, also would improve the experience. But where do they start working? It has been a year now since the announcement of "hey give us all the feedback, it will take some time, because the game code is mumbo jumbo, but we are listening". So far for now... nothing to show except new clothes and hey, a new bug!

I'm patient, I'm coming back to this game again and again. I am passionate about this game, I want it to succeed, I want to play it, I want to recommend it and I finaly have a purse full of money for things I like. But please, is there any transparency? What is being worked on excactly? Where are the problems? Why does it take so long to change anything? There does not need to be an estimated time for changes. It would be enough to know where the team is working on and what the struggles and problems are.

Thank you for listening.

But really. I'm a guy.

Have a nice day.

• Oh no you just called the aeria devs noobs.

I actually saw s4 ads on youtube but dont remember when, maybe a year ago?

They are already recruiting people see trial gms.

You want your anime character hairstyle and thats cool. I think this is a good idea if they wont have copyright issues.

A nice GUI would be great. Also maybe i wont go to 7-15 fps everytime i do something in the menus. Like, its not rly that bad but it just feels very rigid.

About items dont event bother about descriptions.

Not even the stats make any sense.

Ill give u an example:

FP Lightning bomb without any enchants has damage 90(+9.9) and kills me instantly(179 hp).

FP Mine Gun has 90(+9.9), enchants : +5 TD dmg, 0-2 random dmg, full strong set,crit enchants and I almost never get 1 hit kills, even if i do headshot crit(maybe with pity?).

Dont even mention the players stepping on it, that does like 1/3 of their health damage. Unlike bomb that insta kills you even if u are 4 meters away.

Makes absolutely no sense. So they should just disable the damage indicator on an item because its bs.

• 1. This is easier said than done when the code is written by someone else. Even the old devs couldn't fix their game properly and you expect someone completely unfamiliar with the code to do it? Also the fact that they are messing around with the game means that they are trying out stuff which is good.

2. That could help. If not new players at least can make older players nostalgic. Also who watches TV in 2019?

3. Currently we are waiting for them to release the sets from the last community event. I doubt they will make a new contest before releasing the sets for the last one.

4. If by Easter eggs you mean anime inspired sets, we already have such. just for example: the male vacant set and chiki lion. Heck, probably the snow princes set is inspired by Frozen since it even came somewhere around that time. As for official licensed stuff, it is going to be expensive. They will probably lose more to pay for the license than gain from sales.

5. Afaik Kara said that they will be changing the GUI over time so it probably will happen at some point.

• Concerning the displayed damage value, the value displayed in the stats are not correct I think. Somewhen glitch.exe said that the actual damage is being calculated in the code of the game. Tbh I don't know more about it, maybe he can tell us some details here.

I also remember there was a time when S4 was being advertized in the TV but I guess they stopped doing that years ago.

By the way, alaplaya/P7S1 games owned a German TV channel so they probably could advertize the game there for free or a pretty low cost.
    As already mentioned many people don't watch as much TV nowadays as they did years ago.

But aeria could go with the trend and advertize S4 on platforms that are more popular today like YouTube or twitch.

I agree on the statement saying the GUI should be reworked but fixing the bugs has a higher priority I guess.

Most people say they liked the beta GUI the most. So it might should look similar to it having this blue background with the hexagons.

Concerning the pay2win issue I think it already improved by giving out free permanent FP sets and adding the new mission system but there should be done more.

For example 100% boosters could be included into the Level 20/40 caps or the stats of the pen shop could be buffed a bit (like Attack +4% as S4KR had it).

But I think aeria already tries to work with the feedback we give and gave them but as Hella already pointed out it is hard to work with the code someone else wrote. Moreover I guess there is a lot spaghetti code or bad documented code. So the devs need some time to figure out which part of the code does what and doing this takes some time. This might also causes some unforseen bugs.

Tbh I'm already happy with the development we had during the last two weeks.

• Tbh I'm already happy with the development we had during the last two weeks.

What happened in those two weeks? A patch that would have been a funny 1. aprils joke if the game works fine. A new bug that happens all the time and some Events. That is what I got from those two weeks. And after watching the discord and the Forums, nothing about what is currently worked on. Oh yeah, I saw a post, that they work on the HP bug. But I also found a post from last yeat may, that they are working on the bug that freezes your game when leaving a room you played in. That is why I have so much distrust in anything the staff tries to communicate with us. It is sparingly and vage at most and often doesn't have a follow up. This saddens and angers me and I guess many more.

Love, Tasja

But really. I'm a guy.

Have a nice day.

• 1. Hire some experienced developers.

I think that this is vital to the game, given that it is barely playable at the moment, needless to say that there are many gamebreaking bugs that make the game unplayable (I can't even join rooms rofl).

Here I have to quote Hella_Hell  

This is easier said than done when the code is written by someone else. Even the old devs couldn't fix their game properly and you expect someone completely unfamiliar with the code to do it? Also the fact that they are messing around with the game means that they are trying out stuff which is good.

The devs are learning about the game's code and are getting better over time.

2. Market the game (properly).

Another vital part of making a game is advertising it properly. I think investing in some ads would be the go-to method. Also, am I the only one who remembers that S4 League actually used to have ads on TV and stuff?

Now let's watch the game from outside. A 'tabula rasa' is seeing an advertisement of this game, let's say... on Facebook. The person downloads the game, plays 1 game, crashes and deletes it again. Wasted opportunity in marketing.
    Priority here is to fix the game first. Once we've managed to handle the worst issues we can advertise more, make more cooperation and even more awesome stuff.

3. Involve the community.

I think that this isn't only a way to get more content (by making costume creation contests, for example), but also a way to acknowledge the fact that there are talented people in our community that can improve the game tremendously. Did I mention that it is FREE?

We are involving the community and collect feedback for changes on the game, sales and our events. We are also currently developing the sets of the last community design event (farmer and basketball theme). Designing isn't even the hardest part. Modeling is it and is the most time consuming thing in the process. You can still give us feedback here: https://goo.gl/forms/RWlCY65vmGQvWSbI3

4. Add some easter eggs/references

Maybe I'm the only one who values easter eggs in my games, but I'm still going to put it on the list. When I say easter eggs, I think of wearable items, like a Hatsune Miku hairstyle or something like this.

First thing I have to consider here is the copyright of such things. Yes, we have already some sets with a reference and also yes, we have such ideas in mind ;)

The UI definitely needs a change. In-game and also in the lobby, no doubt. The team thinks the same way ^^
    Therefore we are planning already and we want to change a lot.
    The loca files of some items can be changed, but they need to be changed in 5 languages and then it also needs a proper reason before we do so. if you find a typo, let us know.

How are we supposed to get new players into the game, when they go against mostly Full FP players enchanted to oblivion and back? I had several people

The all mighty p2w topic. We are not gonna remove those stats. People paid for it and we also offer a lot of options to get some free stuff (also in FP).
    Only thing where we can argue about are the enchantments to be fair. But we didn't forget that and have already some plans.

• The all mighty p2w topic. We are not gonna remove those stats. People paid for it and we also offer a lot of options to get some free stuff (also in FP).
    Only thing where we can argue about are the enchantments to be fair. But we didn't forget that and have already some plans.

I still feel like the best way to go is just to have stat disabled option like the TD pass mode. Most ppl probably won't even use it anyway but at least you will have a good reason to say that the game is not p2w when it is optional. And the ppl with high stats items can still use their gear in both type of rooms anyway.

• The all mighty p2w topic. We are not gonna remove those stats. People paid for it and we also offer a lot of options to get some free stuff (also in FP).

At least something that is being worked on... I guess all of you CMs and GMs are not allowed to tell us on what other problems the team is working on. That ist still very frustrating and disappointing.

Then I have to try again in the allmighty game of rng to get my first FP Weapon I want to use without spending a single dime. Dunno how much PEN I've poured into it so far and all I've got is an antique sharp shooter I don't use (yay OS player), and run around with the clothes I have since Anno 2014 or so, because I need the pen to get the weapons and have to depend on rng to get the clothes I like permanently. If I would play more I could probably have some more, though all the bugs and issues and p2w let's me only look into the game for so long after long periods of pausing.

Oh gosh. After reading this again it only looks like I'm whining and complaining how unfair the mean and bad world ist. But yeah, those are my feelings for the game.

Love, Tasja

But really. I'm a guy.

Have a nice day.

Exept these stats destroy amazing maps like st-1. You don't need to remove them though because of:

I still feel like the best way to go is just to have stat disabled option like the TD pass mode. Most ppl probably won't even use it anyway but at least you will have a good reason to say that the game is not p2w when it is optional. And the ppl with high stats items can still use their gear in both type of rooms anyway.

^this please

1544-signa-png

The post was edited 2 times, last by Yaita ().

I have to agree, that the main problem are the enchants.

As Yaita mentionned some smaller maps in TD may suffer from them, but I think this isnt the main issue.

The community provided you with several ideas how to balance these enchants without removing them:

One solution would be to implement an option to disable stats (PEN Stats) or remove all enchanted Stats (pure FP Stats, no Enchants & Chips).

Credits to Hella_Hell for that.

Another solution which pops up in my mind would be to merge enchants and reduce the number of available enchants like that.

This way the players who paid for their enchants can keep them and it would be easier for other players to get these too.

Merge example: If you got +3 TD and +2 DM on your PS you get +3 on all Modes.

• For weapons this would mean to merge all mode-based enchants and remove useless enchants like object damage or weapon based useless enchants like chargetime reduce on sharpshooter.
    • For Top and Bottom enchants make weapon categories like all meele, all guns and remove the below 10% HP enchants.
    • Gloves and Shoes are a bit harder to balance (feel free to leave suggestions) but remove useless stuff like invincible time after respawn or recovery by heal.
    • For accesories merge the SP consumption enchants for different skills into one.
    • Pets, Head and Face are not that important but there you could merge the mode-based enchants aswell.

There are tons of enchants as you can see in this list.

glitch.exe you promised us more informations and transparency

I'd like to get more informations about your plans regarding stats balancing.

We gave you enough ideas and feedback, now I want to see concrete plans and actions.