An Exercise In Bootility

• After being booted once or twice, I managed to boot in on a BR match and made a bootiful dance all over the bootlefield.

Unfortunately, I found various vulnerabootities in the weapon, as follows:

1. You have to finish the charge special to attack or do any other movement, even jump - and the special, while it doesn't go too far, still takes a bit to stop; meanwhile:

2. Though you cannot attack others during the charge, they can attack you.

3. Though you cannot go through others during the charge, they can go through you.

4. Boot has no defensive ability yet is completely vulnerable during charge, so one wonders why charge isn't defensive especially when you start a charge and are just staying in place for 3 seconds right up on another player so they just bonk you and you're dead.

5. Boot can break minor guards, but even its sprint attack can't break counter shield.

6. Boot is one of the very few weapons that cannot make other players fly, even with its sprint attack.

7. Boot's damage is super low, and its sprint attack damage is ehhh okay, but charge sprint attack deals the same damage as sprint attack.

8. Boot's range is so low that even if you are literally swiping right on a player, if they're slightly to the side of you, they take no damage.

9. Boot's attacks are so low damage and don't affect players at all, so during Boot's attack animation (which should be halved anyway) you're basically free hits.

10. Boot's charge has way too long of a cooldown. It should have 3 seconds taken off.

11. Boot just freezes in the air for half a second before doing its air stomp; and unlike other weapons, it does not deal damage until it hits the ground - even if the boot is going through someone's face.

12. Boot's Air Stomp stops mid-way in the air, which makes zero sense.

Here are my suggestions to fix:

1. Keep Boot's damage as-is. Keep its SP consumption, max charge duration, and moving speed as-is.

2. Halve the animation of normal Boot attack. Even halved, it'll still be longer than most other melee weapon attacks.

3. Make sure that Boot actually hits what it touches - giving all Boot attacks more circular damage would fix that, but honestly it's fine for Boot to have its current low linear range as a weakness (after all, it can play catch-up).

4. Cut out the mid-air frozen animation right before air stomp. Make it so that Air Stomp deals damage the moment it starts coming down, and that it can't be stunned while coming down (it can still be guarded, and won't stun or knockback/down even when not guarded).

5. Make charge defensive. It doesn't have to be invulnerable as long as the user can't be knocked out of it.

6. Make it so that other players can't go through a charge, since the user can't go through other users during charge.

7. Make it so that Boot users can interrupt their own charge at any time, to attack, jump, dodge, etc. And make any attack out of charge a sprint attack (it's supposed to be that way already but sometimes it bugs out). Also, have SP only consumed until charge is interrupted or normally stops (so if you interrupt your charge, it won't still consume half or more of your SP bar, depending on when you interrupt it).

8. Give Boot's sprint attack flyback based on the same rules as other weapons (as-is, sometimes it knockbacks a meter or so as a "fluke" but most of the time it doesn't, and the rule isn't the same as other weapons) - any character that's guarding won't be knocked back, and the knockback from Boot shouldn't be OP anyway, just enough to push the enemy back (so flying a short distance is fine - making someone fly halfway across ST-2 is not).

9. Take 3 seconds off of Charge's cooldown.*

10. Boot's Air Stomp should keep going down until it actually hits the ground.

*Some people might say it's too much because of Charge's cooldown being decreased, but note that Boots was created with the notion that Fury, or whatever the thing was called where players would get unlimited SP, was a thing. Boots was initially designed to spam Charge infinitely; since no one uses that anymore, and Boots was not rebalanced, it's been stuck with long animations that are far too vulnerable to excuse for its low damage. The change above doesn't allow infinite Charge, since SP will be drained normally, so any player trying to spam Charge will still find themselves quickly out of SP.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Rezilia ().

• In my opinion it's ok for a weapon to have weaknesses. Especially if the have so many strong sides like iron boots. The charge is way too good in TD and you even have 5 more movementspeed than with a handgun...

All weapons need some balancing, more or less... looking at you railgun-chan.

• In my opinion it's ok for a weapon to have weaknesses. Especially if the have so many strong sides like iron boots. The charge is way too good in TD and you even have 5 more movementspeed than with a handgun...

Its movement speed benefit is largely overestimated. The charge takes half or more of your SP bar, and currently has an 8 second cooldown. There is no weapon in the game that has a lower range than Boots - it has the lowest range in the game; meaning that it needs to go fast and charge in order to make attacks (and it only attacks directly in front of it, not an arc or a circle). Additionally, in Station 2 you can test boots out and see that charge only goes about 1/3 across the upper bridge; that's not far at all for half or more of your SP bar. Meanwhile, using charge in close quarters rooms causes you to speed past an opponent (and not be able to hit them) and then while you're trying to turn around, the opponent is already on you and killing you. And because of charge's super long cooldown, you can't continuously use charge as an escape move, even though - again - boots has some of the lowest damage, longest normal attack animation, and lowest range in the game.

As for people that say Boots has high damage - it doesn't. Even Sprint attack's damage is minimal compared to other weapons' "smash" attacks. And the TD benefit is overestimated because, again, you consume half at least of your SP bar and have an 8 second cooldown. There's actually no such thing as "pressing right click and then you get the goal" because, again, it only goes 1/3 of ST-2's upper bridge, has 8s cd, takes a massive chunk of your SP, can be interrupted by any other player's attack, and can't be canceled out of (without activating a special, apparently, which defeats the purpose).

The only way to truly play Boots right now is to be Offense (primarily Assist Kills or Kill Steal, or secondarily to frighten the enemy into attacking only you and therefore acting as a distraction), to carry the ball quickly to another teammate (then get rekt by a nearby enemy and your teammate takes the ball instead - aka passing the fumbi), or to Defend the goal by wiping out that one person with 20% HP left that your teammates have already weakened. No matter which option you choose, you're going to die - a lot.

Additionally, Boots is seriously hard to control. The manner of precision needed to make proper turns at the proper times is insane. Once you get the hang of it, though, it feels amazingly smooth (which is why I love Boots and keep using them), but the super long normal attack animation, the inability to attack/jump/dodge out of charge, freezing in the air for half a second before Air Stomp, and Air Stomp stopping in the air at the end of its attack instead of stopping once it hits the ground, are all not smooth. So basic movement is generally smooth once you get the hang of the controls, but reacting to opponents is not smooth at all.

You can use shift to stop the charge

So you're saying I can spend even more SP and activate my special when I don't need it instead of just being able to attack, jump, or dodge out of the charge? How is that better? (Though thanks for the tip - I've been using Masteries so I didn't know this.)

• So you're saying I can spend even more SP and activate my special when I don't need it instead of just being able to attack, jump, or dodge out of the charge? How is that better? (Though thanks for the tip - I've been using Masteries so I didn't know this.)

I didn't mean any of that and I know your struggles since I use boots as well, the only thing I wanted was to tell you how to stop it.

• I didn't mean any of that and I know your struggles since I use boots as well, the only thing I wanted was to tell you how to stop it.

Sorry, sorry, I said "you're saying" as generally to the game, not you. I know that with Mastery, Shift doesn't consume SP, it's just disappointing that although there is somewhat of a solution, it means using only Mastery unless you want to activate a skill. It really feels like SP Mastery is being shoved onto us Boot users as the "best" skill. :/

• Tbh all I'd ask for in the boots's case is shorter combo attack delays, (especially after the very first light hit), and to make it so the players move speed is unhindered while executing the light combo (until the last hit). It'd be much easier to land hits that way, and may make the light combo more inviting to use.

As for damage, it is fine as it is. Its light hits do the same damage as cs lights pretty much. The 2nd attack of the light combo can crit for a decent chunk, and if you're fast enough you can chain a heavy after the last light combo hit. Not all melee weapons should do high damage. Besides; its jump attack damage is actually the same as the Breaker jumps, but it can crit for 2x damage, and that particular attacks post delay aint so bad.

• Besides; its jump attack damage is actually the same as the Breaker jumps, but it can crit for 2x damage, and that particular attacks post delay aint so bad.

Breaker's jump attack deals way more damage than Boot's, and Boot aerial takes significantly longer to execute than Breaker aerial does.

• I still think boots are fine. Even if they may lack in combat, they have great mobility. The boost is insanly good in TD and you even have more movespeed than handgun or dagger.

I don't need any buffs for them. And I don't need another overpowered weapon like railgun.

• they have great mobility. The boost is insanly good in TD and you even have more movespeed than handgun or dagger.

Isn't that an issue too? Seriously, they were already faster with the boost. Making their movement speed even faster than the already fastest weapons in the game was an overkill. They are pretty much a scoring tool at this point rather than a weapon.

• Isn't that an issue too? Seriously, they were already faster with the boost. Making their movement speed even faster than the already fastest weapons in the game was an overkill. They are pretty much a scoring tool at this point rather than a weapon.

I agree.. I'm still salty that boots have more movement speed than handgun (I love my handgun). I could agree buffing the combat side of boots while nerfing the movement as a trade in.

• I just want to clarify once again that the idea that Boots are for scoring is a myth. Considering charge's SP cost, it's only for quick passes - if you use charge on bridge, it takes longer to get across the bridge than without Charge (base stat comparison) because of how much SP Charge consumes. The real reason players can get across bridge quickly is because of high SP, not Charge's speed distance, because just sprinting is significantly cheaper.

And as for sprint, its speed is equal to a few other weapons. There are even times when a weapon that has equal speed to Boots gets to the *fumbi first, purely because of how Boots moves, as it's bad at turns.

As for this suggestion, it's mainly to decrease animation time of normal attacks, remove the half second "freeze" in the middle of the aerial animation, let aerial attack actually make contact with the ground before ending (this is a problem for many weapons), and to let Boots properly attack at any point during their charge. This suggestion does not increase power or speed, nor does it decrease SP cost.

As it currently stands, Boot's speed is the only thing it's good for, and contrarily to popular belief other weapons DO match that speed. Boots is not viable in combat because its aerial goes off before the enemy is attacked, its charge needs to finish before it will attack, and using normal attack is both extremely weak and extremely slow.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Rezilia ().

• Breaker's jump attack deals way more damage than Boot's, and Boot aerial takes significantly longer to execute than Breaker aerial does.

As someone who out of habit likes to experiment with all weapons, i'm 100% sure their damage is the same, do some tests with friends. The Breaker jump is just quicker. I've done close to 100 damage with my enchanted boots crits when testing it with my friends (def pierce + strong chips lel). You just need to aim it so the jump attack hits their feet, (and that's not counting the follow-up Heavy attack).

And as for sprint, its speed is equal to a few other weapons. There are even times when a weapon that has equal speed to Boots gets to the *fumbi first, purely because of how Boots moves, as it's bad at turns.

Get your Boots, and have your friends race you in a straight line, but have them use Dag or HG and you'll beat them every time.

As for this suggestion, it's mainly to decrease animation time of normal attacks, remove the half second "freeze" in the middle of the aerial animation, let aerial attack actually make contact with the ground before ending (this is a problem for many weapons), and to let Boots properly attack at any point during their charge. This suggestion does not increase power or speed, nor does it decrease SP cost.

Also about that air delay, it's useful if you know when to use it. If you execute it from the top of your jump many other ground based melee attacks will miss you, like the Vital/Ps dash, Stab, Breaker swing, Cs jump. etc. (That's also true for the other melee weapons that have the half second freeze). I don't mind the idea of decreasing the post delay after the attacks, but removing that tiny air pause will take away one of its advantages.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Fazoodle ().