After being booted once or twice, I managed to boot in on a BR match and made a bootiful dance all over the bootlefield.
Unfortunately, I found various vulnerabootities in the weapon, as follows:
1. You have to finish the charge special to attack or do any other movement, even jump - and the special, while it doesn't go too far, still takes a bit to stop; meanwhile:
2. Though you cannot attack others during the charge, they can attack you.
3. Though you cannot go through others during the charge, they can go through you.
4. Boot has no defensive ability yet is completely vulnerable during charge, so one wonders why charge isn't defensive especially when you start a charge and are just staying in place for 3 seconds right up on another player so they just bonk you and you're dead.
5. Boot can break minor guards, but even its sprint attack can't break counter shield.
6. Boot is one of the very few weapons that cannot make other players fly, even with its sprint attack.
7. Boot's damage is super low, and its sprint attack damage is ehhh okay, but charge sprint attack deals the same damage as sprint attack.
8. Boot's range is so low that even if you are literally swiping right on a player, if they're slightly to the side of you, they take no damage.
9. Boot's attacks are so low damage and don't affect players at all, so during Boot's attack animation (which should be halved anyway) you're basically free hits.
10. Boot's charge has way too long of a cooldown. It should have 3 seconds taken off.
11. Boot just freezes in the air for half a second before doing its air stomp; and unlike other weapons, it does not deal damage until it hits the ground - even if the boot is going through someone's face.
12. Boot's Air Stomp stops mid-way in the air, which makes zero sense.
Here are my suggestions to fix:
1. Keep Boot's damage as-is. Keep its SP consumption, max charge duration, and moving speed as-is.
2. Halve the animation of normal Boot attack. Even halved, it'll still be longer than most other melee weapon attacks.
3. Make sure that Boot actually hits what it touches - giving all Boot attacks more circular damage would fix that, but honestly it's fine for Boot to have its current low linear range as a weakness (after all, it can play catch-up).
4. Cut out the mid-air frozen animation right before air stomp. Make it so that Air Stomp deals damage the moment it starts coming down, and that it can't be stunned while coming down (it can still be guarded, and won't stun or knockback/down even when not guarded).
5. Make charge defensive. It doesn't have to be invulnerable as long as the user can't be knocked out of it.
6. Make it so that other players can't go through a charge, since the user can't go through other users during charge.
7. Make it so that Boot users can interrupt their own charge at any time, to attack, jump, dodge, etc. And make any attack out of charge a sprint attack (it's supposed to be that way already but sometimes it bugs out). Also, have SP only consumed until charge is interrupted or normally stops (so if you interrupt your charge, it won't still consume half or more of your SP bar, depending on when you interrupt it).
8. Give Boot's sprint attack flyback based on the same rules as other weapons (as-is, sometimes it knockbacks a meter or so as a "fluke" but most of the time it doesn't, and the rule isn't the same as other weapons) - any character that's guarding won't be knocked back, and the knockback from Boot shouldn't be OP anyway, just enough to push the enemy back (so flying a short distance is fine - making someone fly halfway across ST-2 is not).
9. Take 3 seconds off of Charge's cooldown.*
10. Boot's Air Stomp should keep going down until it actually hits the ground.
*Some people might say it's too much because of Charge's cooldown being decreased, but note that Boots was created with the notion that Fury, or whatever the thing was called where players would get unlimited SP, was a thing. Boots was initially designed to spam Charge infinitely; since no one uses that anymore, and Boots was not rebalanced, it's been stuck with long animations that are far too vulnerable to excuse for its low damage. The change above doesn't allow infinite Charge, since SP will be drained normally, so any player trying to spam Charge will still find themselves quickly out of SP.