What would/should a remake consist of?

• As for double tap to sprint, I think it's fine for S4. I think it's something you get used to quickly, and it's still common in Korean games.

I'm going to assume WS is wall shooting and say, the heavy machine gun doesn't have wall shooting................... No idea why other weapons still have it.

• The more buttons you use, the more your hands have to stretch or move.

S4 doesn't have enough useful keys that it would be a problem, hell most players still have the emote selection key on e (or q I don't remember which is which). I could easily imagine sprint as shift and skill on q or e. But of course, as an option or something.

That means slower reaction time

Double tapping also means slower reaction time though, since it takes longer to perform.

As for PvE and S4L, I actually like how the AI is in Arcade. It feels like you're fighting actual players. Actual players automatically lock onto you or your previous position because they look quickly, AIs can just do this auto and it's the same difference.

Whaaaaaat? What kind of players do you play against usually? Mine do not walk in a straight line before standing still and shooting at me. Mine do not lock onto my exact position like they have an aimbot nor do they lock onto my previous position. Human aim is difficult to emulate, people have a degree of inaccuracy, a reaction time. They try to predict your movement, are thrown off when it is erratic and adapt to your dodging pattern if it's too repetitive.

Just look at the bishops and queens in cube defense, you just have to move to one direction parallel to them and they can't hit you ever. As for the gunners in scenario mode, they're automatically locked on you like a sentry and you can't dodge anything they do. They're just a straight DPScheck.

• Double tapping also means slower reaction time though, since it takes longer to perform.

Not really. I know it sounds cliche, but APM matters. The reason why sprint "takes long" to perform isn't because of double-tap - it's because once the game registers an action, it has a delay before executing that action; whether it's attacking, sprinting, jumping, or otherwise, actions don't ever execute instantly in this game. It's not lag, that's just how the game is designed.

Whether you hold Sprint to run or double tap, you still need to do a slight additional finger movement. I prefer pressing the same button twice over moving my pinky, but the point still remains that regardless of which option you choose, the game has a slightly delay before you "get moving" - and this is mostly animation delay, and for sprinting you can actually see your character trying to pick up speed before the air lines show you're properly sprinting.

• I know it sounds cliche, but APM matters.

Actions Per Minute? What does that have to do with anything?

Whatever the delay is for sprinting, single tap is faster anyway. Even if you can double tap a key with a frequency of 20 Hz (which I doubt is even possible for a human), it's still 0.05 seconds slower than a single press.

• Actions Per Minute? What does that have to do with anything?

Whatever the delay is for sprinting, single tap is faster anyway. Even if you can double tap a key with a frequency of 20 Hz (which I doubt is even possible for a human), it's still 0.05 seconds slower than a single press.

But that's not considering that double tapping could just feel more natural, at least for S4. You guys already solved the problem by having in either Double Tapping or Single Pressing.

• Actions Per Minute? What does that have to do with anything?

It's not really single-press though. You still have to press two buttons - Shift and W. Maybe if you're already moving, just extending your pinky (which prior to that was at rest and not on your mind) might be the slightest bit faster, but from a complete standstill double-tapping one button to move is faster than initiating the individual press of two separate buttons.

Even so, hybrid is best because if you start from a double tap you can press Shift later to end a sprint, or release Shift if you used Shift+W to do so. These are two separate options, and the initiating presses should be based on what's fastest in each respective situation. Still, not everyone needs this, because...

Actions Per Minute, in contrast to Keys Per Minutes, is the speed at which you make use of a certain number of buttons to initiate as many actions as possible in-game as quickly as possible. Depending on hand and finger size, this differs for each person. If your hands are too small, Xbox sized controllers will give you low APM, if your hands are huge then PS controllers will. If your fingertips are thick and long then you might mispress a key but your pinky should be perfectly resting on Shift so that may be easier than double-tap; in contrast, smaller tips / shorter fingers don't have pinkies resting perfectly on Shift so double-tap should be easier.

It depends on each individual, as each individual requires a different keybind setup for their maximum potential APM. It also depends on the game in question, because some games may require spherical camera control while others don't and the latter can result in someone choosing to use numpad instead of mouse, for example.

--------

New idea for remake: Hire the guy featured in this video!

He goes by CryZENx . His work is super professional, does proper justice to original game mechanics, and is really fast. If there's anyone we can trust with a proper S4 remake that doesn't go against the original formula, it's probably him.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Rezilia ().