Also we've had Virus and Glitch themed seasons.

• I think Ice Square was an attempt at replicating the success of sta-2.

There is a long way with some amount of cover, a short way that is quick but easier to defend with lasers on top, the spawns are right next to the goalposts, and are elevated compared to the central area, and there is cover around the spot where the Fumbi spawns. Finally there is a sort of bridge connecting the two camps.

But Ice square doesn't play as well as sta-2 for several reasons. Snatching the Fumbi in the middle is too easy, so you never see the two teams fighting for control over the mid area, the ramp area is too long, the bridge thing is kind of useless unless you're sniping, the geometry doesn't allow for many jumps, especially in in the short way, nobody likes spikes and there is an option to wall shoot when attacking from the ramp area.

I think the most important things you have to get right if you want to replicate how sta-2 plays are:

-map traversal has to be quick when nobody is bothering you

-The map needs to have built-in hazards to help the defenders to compensate for the quick map traversal options

-there has to be several viable options when attacking

-There needs to be a reason for people to want to control the mid area, meaning that picking up the Fumbi should not be free.

-there has to be jumps

-you should be able to understand what's going on from one quick glance from almost everywhere on the map (or you end up with temple or highway)

• There is nothing special about the st-2 map. In the early days it was level locked so that was probably the start of its popularity but nowadays ppl play it only because they don't want to learn other maps.

But who knows. It has been 3 or more years since the last TD map was released so something new may drag some attention considering we have been completely dry on content for almost entire year.

I think even a st-2 reskin, it will be still a good thing and will probably have higher chances to be played.

• ST-2 without ramp and rail , only stairs best map 2k19 5*

S4 players are addicted to st2 , if you guys want people to play anything else it would need to be removed and i don't see them doing it so meh.

• Says who?

Me. If you know what is so special about it, then feel free to share.

it is also probably one of the worst designed maps as well. You can score faster than one can even respawn and you can get sniped across the map just by leaving the spawn. Heck, the only safe place to defend is a wall in front of the goal and you can still get sniped from an angle and one bomb is enough to flush your whole team from that single spot.

• Ice Square is based on RustyGarden map

What? Rusty garden had a two layers middle area, disjointed spawn and goalpost, and one short and trouble free way to the goalpost from mid. The two maps are neither close in design or in the way they play (I had to practice it for a small tournament a while ago). Unless you can explain me what they have in common.

Me. If you know what is so special about it, then feel free to share.

it is also probably one of the worst designed maps as well. You can score faster than one can even respawn and you can get sniped across the map just by leaving the spawn. Heck, the only safe place to defend is a wall in front of the goal and you can still get sniped from an angle and one bomb is enough to flush your whole team from that single spot.

It's quick to get to the action, there's a lot of fancy stuff that you can do, several angles of attack, it allows for a variety of playstyles, and offense and defense are pretty well balanced. I thought I made that clear in my first post.

I don't think it's a flaw of the map that you can score faster than one can spawn, it's part of the challenge of the map that you have to make sure that a counter attack will not go unchallenged, and it is achieved through good decisionmaking, that is facilitated by the fact that it's pretty easy to get a global vision of the map from basically anywhere.

And yeah, snipers and bombs (and a lot of other stuff) are an issue, but they have only become an issue as of late, and you cannot expect a map to be designed taking the balance 4 years later in consideration. Then again, you'll be hard pressed to find any touch down map that the current state of balanced has not made significantly worse.

• What? Rusty garden had a two layers middle area, disjointed spawn and goalpost, and one short and trouble free way to the goalpost from mid. The two maps are neither close in design or in the way they play (I had to practice it for a small tournament a while ago). Unless you can explain me what they have in common.

If you don't want to see it, good for you xD

It isnt hard. They pick the rustygarden design and change it. If the map were almost the same, it would not be a new map, it would be a skin for the map.

They are similar, they have just changed the site ramp, but the way to get to the goal post is the same.

And you also have to walk more distance to mark TD, but it's still the same. Whoever does not want to see it, is simply blind.

Also with Oldmoon. Of course they aren't the same. they just created a new map with the original design and source.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Plank ().

• I mean i don't see why rusty garden looks like ice square. You can say Circle from Chaser and DMs do share the same layout not to mention they are simply the same map. Rusty and Ice don't even share the layout imo. But this wasn't the topic was it