So I was thinking about S4 and there are two things that I think would greatly improve the new player experience.
(Edit: While I thought this idea was good when I posted it, what really needs to be done is to deal with the p2w at its core.)
First off, something that could probably be implemented rather quickly: When you create your very first character you would get either Basic Type-A + Padding Slacks (if the character is male) or Sweet + Pleats (if the character is female). These would be permanent with AP stats. Here are my thoughts as to why this would be a good idea:
- New players get a permanent costume that changes the majority of their character's looks.
- These could be combined with PEN hair/face/gloves/boots and +10 weapons which should be enough to give them a fighting chance, and all of these are available for PEN in the shop (showing how they get +10 weapons for PEN would be a great way to introduce them to capsules).
- These are still the most basic-looking "sets" in S4, so if they want to be more stylish they would want to spend time/money on getting new sets.
- There are 3 character slots, so they would want to spend time/money on costumes.
- Giving new players a fighting chance and something permanent to fall back on if/when their timed stuff expire would give them the chance to get sufficiently invested in the game so they would want to spend time/money on it, or even, y'know, tell their friends about it.
A few extra points:
Whether or not this would replace the timed costume you get with the first character or if it would be given alongside it is up to Aeria imo.
If Aeria instead just makes the current timed costume into a permanent one I guess that would be fine too.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Imo there are more problems with the stat system, but those may take much longer to fix in the best way possible. This would fix the most immediate problem when it comes to new players (except maybe smurfs), would function as a good band-aid fix for the time being and could be kept in place even if said fixes do come.
The second thing is: Have a menu tutorial! Something to get them started and to help them around the shop/inventory/UI in general.
When they first enter the game (or when they've completed the gameplay tutorial), make it pop up similarly to the mission/login reward windows. There you should tell them how to get started and tips.
To get you started we have provided you with permanent costume pieces and weapons. They should be in your inventory (look for it along the top of the screen).
You can equip them from your inventory or by clicking on the costume and weapon slots on the left.
The Homing Rifle does not need precise aim unlike most weapons, although it may not pack as much of a punch as other rifles.
The Spy Dagger is a simple melee weapon with a quick light attack, powerful special attack and provides great utility through high movement speed.
You also have permanent top and bottom costume pieces. Combine these with other pieces available for PEN in the shop. All weapons are available for PEN in the shop. Any other weapons you see are simply unique variants (weapon skins) and function exactly the same. If you find something you like, look up capsules in the shop. With PEN you can buy a weapon capsule to get a timed weapon with AP stats, or if you're lucky, get a unique weapon permanently!
To get more costumes permanently, either buy them with AP directly from the shop (some even have different colors to choose from) or use capsules to get unique color variants of whole sets (remember to use a chance booster to increase your chances of getting a permanent set)!
Of course there are other things that could be done as well, like improving the gameplay tutorial, but that would probably take longer so this could be good to have in the meantime.