S4 league [Suggestion] For a more healthy free 2 play model

•           Introduction

The objective of this suggestion is to give new players and returning players who don’t have good gear a fair chance against people who have invested time and/or money into having the best gear they can. The Dilemma is that we want to do it without making those better geared people feel like they have wasted their time and/or money, and we still want the new and returning players to feel like they’re missing something by not investing their time/money into the game, so that they’ll want to buy stuff. The way this has been traditionally achieved by many free 2 play games, S4 being one of them, is through the use of temporary items. Temporary items permit the game to give good gear for free without making the paid content lose value in the eye of the customer, since people attach a lot of value to the permanent nature of an item. The problem is, in S4 league enchanting and the new chips have made temporary gear obsolete. We want to fix that. An important consideration is that the last thing new players want to deal with is inventory management, so we want to make our system as simple and intuitive as possible, and not make the player have to go through too many steps.

The suggestion

A new kind of capsule box thingy. We want it to be basically free, so we give them out often enough. Upon logging on, maybe after a game or a certain number of game, a fair amount when going back to the game after a pause longer than a week or so, upon leveling up or creating the account. What is there inside? Two things: temporary quasi-force pack (random) weapons with random enchants and temporary AP stated (random) clothes with random enchant and random chips (random level and random type). Basically, worthless junk for anyone trying to optimize their gear, but still good enough to be on a sort of equal footing with the rest of the playing field (by quasi-force pack weapons, I mean, with some HP or SP or attack missing, that kind of thing). Since we want it to be as intuitive as possible, we don’t want beginners to have to open it in their inventory, but there should be a shortcut to do so immediately upon acquisition. For the same reason, the clothes should be automatically equipped if the player doesn’t have anything equipped on that slot.

You may ask, why would people need to buy capsules if they can get almost the same thing for free? The answer: people pay for optimization and choice. They choose which force pack weapon they can use at all time and which chips they choose on their equipment, as well as being able to optimize their enchants and having slightly better stats overall on the weapons. People also pay for style and for the appeal of an item being permanent rather than temporary.

Further considerations

-Items of clothing like pets and possibly accessories and hair (basically everything that you can’t put chips on) obtained this way should probably be slightly inferior to their premium counterparts like the quasi-force pack weapons since otherwise there would be no reason to buy the premium version.

-Another solution would be to make new chips that attach to those items (since choosing which chips go inside adds value to premium items compared to their temporary counterparts). Also applies to weapons.

-It’s important that nothing permanent can be acquired in those boxes/capsules things since that’s what allows them to be thrown around for free. However, there may be a way for those capsules to not be completely useless junk for experienced players (after all, gambling is fun). And that would be an item that makes a temporary item permanent. It could be sold in the shop or be a rare drop during events or whatever.

• Well, there is basically already the random shop. The crafting system offers random enchant too but is too expensive to be used to gain timed items. But even if it wasn't no one wants to play a game where they have to wear random timed garbage just to be able to compete (even if you already do it through the random shop anyway if you have no perms).

• Well, there is basically already the random shop. The crafting system offers random enchant too but is too expensive to be used to gain timed items. But even if it wasn't no one wants to play a game where they have to wear random timed garbage just to be able to compete (even if you already do it through the random shop anyway if you have no perms).

The random shop is strictly worse than just using temporary I's costumes, and those are already not good enough (because of the chips, and they're expansive, so is the random shop). The crafting system is not only expensive, it's also way too confusing to be used by a new player. You gotta find it, find how to craft the pieces, for that you gotta open enough caps...

I've played random time items for a loooong time before I got my first set, and I was fine with that, as long as it didn't put me in too much of a disadvantage. Of course nobody wants to keep playing with random timed items forever but I never said people would have to. It should still be possible to acquire permanent items through paying or spending enough time.