Questions & Answers Session - 2

• Session - 2

Engine Change, Graphics

1. Will you change the UI of the game? Are you going to change the interface soon?
    2. Can we have the old layout in-game?
      1. [Q 1-2] We will change the UI. We will not do it soon. We aren't fans of the orange but we simply think other things are more important. Plus, at the first glance, it's a more complicated subject than it looks to be.
    3. It is planned to transfer the game in a new engine? New graphic and different server.
    4. Many of my friends who isn't into S4 League always complained about the graphics of this game. Is it ever possible to improve the graphics, improve the engine of this game?
    5. Is it possible for you to recreate this game with better coding, engine and graphics?
      1. [Q 3-4-5] No, I can tell you we won't transfer the game to a new engine. However, we will have some infrastructure changes that affects the server performance and we just talked recently about the ways we can try to upgrade the graphics. We aren't sure what we can do at this point. It could be optimization of engine, it could be simply using higher res textures. If we find more about the previous downgrade of graphics, we will also look into that. We have no idea at this point how it was done. But if the engine has unused capacity, we'd love to upgrade to higher res textures and even apply it to old sets as well. So, no promises on what exactly we can do, but I promise we'll look into it.
    6. Will you upgrade the proud net library to the latest version? The one which is used by S4 League has an vulnerability.
      1. This was brought to our attention and we are looking into it, but at this moment we are focused on getting a patch out. It's high in our list though! It's not just a matter of implementation for us, there are also some legal implications for us and between us and Neowiz as well.

Game

1. Are there any plans to reign in the stats given by various items, enchants and chips? I'm getting melted by people with op enchants and chips.
      1. This is something I've been thinking hard about. I try to look at it from a PM perspective, from a player perspective and by evaluating various feedback we've gotten from the community. We can't just remove stats from the game. Not only people have earned them by playing or paying, but they are also part of game's design and add variety to the game. There are no solid plans yet and we'll definitely talk with the community, but the more possible ideas seem to be giving the option of no-stat games in more mods and/or making enchants easier to access up to a certain point.
    2. Is it possible to change the level rewards (they are not really a motivation)?
      1. We will definitely do this! It may not happen too soon as we are thinking of a system where the old players can also benefit as well. Maybe an endless leveling system?
    3. Can you make AP and gamble obsolete and focus on creating content as cosmetics Weapons and Clothes without the additional Buffs/ Damage/Defense?
      1. We are already creating cosmetic content and not adding additional stats like some games where you would have "super FP" "mega fp" stats etc. As for making gamble obsolete... I don't think that can happen, but we'd like to make the gambling more obsolete. If you are following our webshop, we've already been decreasing the amount of "You get a gold pen capsule or maaaybe a set" boxes and going for either better/guaranteed chances of items and better "compensation" prizes like reset insurance. In the end, if we can come up with a good model, we can do anything. But we need to make sure it works, it's fun and it stays relevant for players.
    4. What is the plan for increasing the player count for Unlimited mode?
      1. We don't have plans simply because we didn't think about it. We can definitely consider it.
    5. Will you make a new mode with ALL room options? (unlimited should be also choose able)
      1. We may. We only have some plans on "mini" modes similar to the bomber or pass mode for now. It's a bit early to speak solidly about this to be honest.
    6. Will you bring back the toy block?
      1. To be honest, I don't know why and how it's gone. But why not?

Clan System

1. Will you focus the clan system? (Customizable Clan logo, Clan wars with a functional ranked system)
    2. Can we expect changes to the clan system anytime soon or is it not that high on the priority list?
    3. Will you offer support for clans? Some peoples lost their clans, it will be a good thing to offer support regarding this.
      1. We currently have technical difficulties with clans. Our tools are really insufficient. Clan marks and clan support is high on our to-do list. We want to improve our tools and even if we can't, use some workarounds to provide support for clan issues and implement clan marks. Don't expect them like next week or so, they still need investigation, but it's a high priority.
  • A few additions from me:

*I'll be in Gamescom Gamigo party and hopefully will be available on that day before the party as well.

*We've had a lot of one-time issues but we've been tackling them one after the other.

*Next session will be some time 2 weeks later (6-10.08)

Thanks again everyone for joining!

• Once again it was very fun to watch.

Will you bring back the toy block?

To be honest, I don't know why and how it's gone. But why not?

Basically, in the past you could get a permanent toy block if you collect all letters from the card system. The devs changed the rewards later on when new skills were added. The last change was the addition of the skill capsules but they didn't added the toy block in the list with rewards for some reason (back then everyone had many permanent toyblocks so that is probably why there wasn't much fuss about not being there).

Also since you asked for more info about the old level system:

Basically the old level system required more exp per level so the only reason anyone may want it is because you could judge a player better for their playtime instead of everyone just being s4 level (lvl 80).

The S4DB still has tracking for the old level system (not sure if it is still accurate though). Clicking on the level icon of a player in S4DB will switch between the new and the old level.

The old system however isn't perfect though, considering after 1 year of playtime in 10 years in total, I am still level 87 out of 100 (looks like the level system outlived the game, lel)

A system with no ceiling would work way better for rewarding and showing playtime indeed.

• Idk but I feel a bit elated about what's coming up? I'm optimistic. But guys pls be as good as your word this time.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing the game having an improvement regarding Security issues , Lag issues , Game layout and bringing back the events asap.
    Thanks for your efforts anyway.

• reforming the clan / war clan system would be sensational I believe that there would be a boom where the clans would compete with each other and this would move more players, create a clan rank system and soon after that a patent system it would be necessary for the game to keep up with the other existing success games.

of course before all this would be very good if you took out the ip block before so there would be more players to participate in the beta of all these new systems.

(Sorry, I did not resist):D<3

• Well i'm not looking for words, only actions matters. Once what you say will concur with what you do then I'll trust you.

+when I heard you I felt like everything was hard to do. Ikr s4 code is trash but saying that UI isn't easy to change tilted me a bit. If UI isn't easy then how will it be for the rest.

At least unlike before you are communicating and it's still better than nothing.

• Well i'm not looking for words, only actions matters. Once what you say will concur with what you do then I'll trust you.

+when I heard you I felt like everything was hard to do. Ikr s4 code is trash but saying that UI isn't easy to change tilted me a bit. If UI isn't easy then how will it be for the rest.

At least unlike before you are communicating and it's still better than nothing.

maybe is because it is not build to be changed while other things like adding items etc have more flexibility. After all, the devs had to add new items every patch so at least they should have made that one easier to do.

• So nobody mentioned the problems with certain weaps ( RAIL GUN, BOOTS, BOMB) or maybe that was all adressed in the previous Q&A. Cause in my humble opinion those are core gameplay elements and should worked on 1st. ( just an opinion boys).

• So nobody mentioned the problems with certain weaps ( RAIL GUN, BOOTS, BOMB) or maybe that was all adressed in the previous Q&A. Cause in my humble opinion those are core gameplay elements and should worked on 1st. ( just an opinion boys).

On 1st? On 1st is stability, functionally and access of the game. That means, connection, Black List and all related to that.

• To be honest, i needed and i'm taking a break from S4, i will and more than probably, rejoin the netsphere once you guys get some neat stuff out (Visible to the user or not). These sessions are pumpin' my hype up for the new team so my best wishes to you all!

P.S : I will start studying for security guard really soon so if you guys need some at the entrance of the office make sure to have a spot for me around ):

P.P.S : Or find me some place to stay and i'll be glad to take the lead on a Spanish staff team for S4 Alice4

• Fixing the clan system will get a lot of players to come back to S4 League, you should focus on that cause fixing bugs and hacks is nowhere near your capability. Sounds harsh i know but it is what it is and a fact.

Goodluck.

The focus is on allow players to play the game or at least access without problem, those blacklisted, those with lag connection, server issues, and then ingame content.

• Idk but I feel a bit elated about what's coming up? I'm optimistic. But guys pls be as good as your word this time.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing the game having an improvement regarding Security issues , Lag issues , Game layout and bringing back the events asap.
    Thanks for your efforts anyway.

You're welcome! I definitely I understand and as I mentioned in the stream: I'm trying to be transparent, not giving excuses. You have every right to ask for good service and react when you don't find it.

I did say from the very start that things might have taken time, but our first estimation about the literal start of patches was apparently too optimistic.

I'm hoping to have some good news soon and we'll try to keep you updated.

Well I'm right now at 56min at the stream and yes shut down Station-2 for a month! Approved!

Edit: Well just a reminder (Maybe I missed it in the 2 Q&As) but you wanted to write or made a vote about the votekick in the next PM letter^^

Votekick is complicated. We haven't discussed it decisively yet, good arguments on both sides. I feel like best is to keep it with some restraints (ie you can do it a certain amount of times in an interval) but that also requires development time of course.

Well i'm not looking for words, only actions matters. Once what you say will concur with what you do then I'll trust you.

About the UI, I was talking relatively. It looked like it isn't as simple as we thought. And overall it's more complex to handle as it requires active coordination between developer, UI artist and QA during the development (unlike a game feature for example, which the developer can be developed by itself, then moved to testing, and then back and forth.)
    Of course we are able to coordinate within the team, but it will take time and we feel that UI isn't the direst of our issues.

• You're welcome! I definitely I understand and as I mentioned in the stream: I'm trying to be transparent, not giving excuses. You have every right to ask for good service and react when you don't find it.

But actually if you are not paying and enjoying a free service you don't have the right, you can maybe suggest, but right?

• But actually if you are not paying and enjoying a free service you don't have the right, you can maybe suggest, but right?

Everyone has the right to complain, right to the service and right to ask for a quality service. I come from a community management background and I'm a gamer myself. For me community is community, it's not "whales" and "free players" or anything like that.

• To be fair it's a team oriented game for the most part. By stacking with a set team they can learn how to cover each-others weaknesses, and enhance their overall strength. If competitions arise where you must bring your clan to compete; wouldn't you want to be prepared? The best way to do this is to get in practice by working together with your clan/team. The only way to do this is by stacking. I've seen some good synergy from stacked clans.

It's intimidating to enter a room and see yourself vs 6 people from the same clan I agree, but maybe more players should try doing this?

• You can always leave the room and join a non stacked room. Whats wrong with clans/friends playing together?

Why should they restrict themselves if they want to enjoy the game together?

Because it is already hard to find rooms (especially unlimited) and stuff like this doesn't affect the game experience in a good way.

It doesn't helps that those rooms are also pretty common as well.

To be fair it's a team oriented game for the most part. By stacking with a set team they can learn how to cover each-others weaknesses, and enhance their overall strength. If competitions arise where you must bring your clan to compete; wouldn't you want to be prepared? The best way to do this is to get in practice by working together with your clan/team. The only way to do this is by stacking. I've seen some good synergy from stacked clans.

It's intimidating to enter a room and see yourself vs 6 people from the same clan I agree, but maybe more players should try doing this?

Stacking vs randoms is just easy mode. The only reason ppl does it is cuz it is a free win most of the time.

• That and that they know which weapons are bugged , need fixing , and what need to be buff and nerf plus it would be nice to have their opinions about the costumes and weapon plus it would be nice to play with the CM's sometimes

So. lets see. i use the Railgun. and Bomber and hmm any Bat^^

A CM hunt idea is a nice idea and we think about that before too.

• Everyone has the right to complain, right to the service and right to ask for a quality service. I come from a community management background and I'm a gamer myself. For me community is community, it's not "whales" and "free players" or anything like that.

Seeing it like that, you're right.

• I just had a game in Chaser and since kara said they met with the devs to get the game code, I was wondering how much their office resembled the Office map (if at all). It is technically the Pentavision office but i doubt they have moved their location anyway.